Re: default messaging/VoIP client for Debian 8/Jessie

+++ Thomas Goirand [2014-03-30 18:29 +0800]:
> On 03/30/2014 05:04 PM, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>
> On 03/30/2014 05:04 PM, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> >    JitMeet multi-party video conferencing solution[8] for WebRTC
> >    browsers
>
> You should remove the "s" at browsers. It only supports Chrome(ium).

It's kind of the pother way round. AIUI Chromium supports multiple video
streams, firefox only supports one. So jitmeet doesn't care at all what
browser you use, but it does need to support various fairly new WebRTC
features, inlcuding this multiple streams thing.

I used meet.jit.si for the first time this week (for GSOC) and was very
impressed. It's extremely convenient and 'just worked' for both audio
and video on testing, which is better than hangouts as well as being
free software.

OK. I do have to get out a copy of chromium, which is a pain because
firefox is my default browser, but that's a fairly minor irritation to
get working videoconf. And I assume this annoyance will go away in due
course when firefox acquires the necessary feature.

It's certainly technology I recommend everyone to try.

Is anyone packaging jitmeet itself BTW?

> By the way, do you know if it's easy to setup conference calls the way
> there is with JitMeet / Hangout, but without a web browser, eg directly
> on a VoIP software? Can Jitsi do that?

Yes I'm interested in how you use WebRTC clients along with desktop
clients. I assume it's possible...

Wookey
http://wookware.org/