Re: translations.launchpad.net: how to get PO for updating Debian packages?

2014/1/9 Osamu Aoki <osamu_aoki_home@nifty.com>:
> Hi,
>
> == Short version ==
> I want to update PO files with Ubuntu site data.  So far no luck.  Help
> needed.
>
> == Long story ==
> One of my packages got a translation bug report pointing me to:
>  https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/saucy/+source/im-config/+pots/im-config
>
> FYI:
>  * I am the solo upstream and maintainer of im-config.
>  * I only have Ubuntu access to read their Launchpad pages.
>
>  (I even see my name listed under "By" without my knowledge.  It seems
>  to happen often on Launchpad.  I do not mind listed as upstream but this
>  makes me uneasy.  I do not even have any Japanese translation here but
>  it is listed 100% translated with my name.)
>
> With login and e-mail (after resetting the forgotten password), I should
> be able to get tar... but web page respond as:
>
> | Not allowed here
> | Sorry, you don't have permission to access this page or the information
> | in this page is not shared with you.
> |
> | You are logged in as osamu.

This is probably a bug, file a report against launchpad for this

> So far no luck.  Sigh ...  I do not understand why readonly access is
> restricted.
>
> Anyway, it seems plenty of PO files are there.  Packages seem to be
> found as
> https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/saucy/+source/<packagename>
> (and select all translation.  You need to be logged in)
>
> Is there any easy ways to get latest PO files from Ubuntu?

I went here:
https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/saucy/+source/im-config/+pots/im-config
and clicked on the "download" link in the upper right:
https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/saucy/+source/im-config/+pots/im-config/+export
selected to export all the translations in .po format.
I got this message: "Your request has been received. Expect to receive
an email shortly." and after a bit I received an email containing the
translations.
I attach this file for your convenience

> I have over 30 packages and going through awkward clicking is pain.  I
> only need effective read-only quick access (hopefully with scripted
> wget or dget like commands).  I just want as easy access as ones for
> the patches and packages: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/im-config

I don't know if there is an automated way to get all the translations
automatically.
Anything can be scripted but I don't know if you would like to delve into that.

> If anyone have good idea, let me know.

What I did for the acetoneiso program that I maintain is to import its
codebase and synchronize the translations.
You can take a look here:
https://code.launchpad.net/~andrikos/acetoneiso/acetoneiso

This is quite practical and automatically updates the po files in the
launchpad branch (which can then be imported into your own one).
If you need help setting this up let me know.

> PS: I also wonder if there is some generic script to update *.desktop
> files using PO files.  I am about to make a local shell script hack
> using xgettext.

You can create multiple "templates" for each program, e.g. main / .desktop.
Launchpad can then be used to translate each one individually.
I am not sure though that Launchpad can automatically update .desktop
files as it does .po ones.
If you want to use a script, then create some desktop_XX.po files and
then allow Launchpad to update these in the "desktop" template.

Best regards,

Nick