Re: Delegation for the Release Team

On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 01:23:42PM +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:

> I'd like to note that the discussion on this delegation was inconclusive
> on a couple of points:
>
> 1) it does not include anything about defining rules for NMU delays.
>
> The last time the NMU "policy" was changed was in 2011. The process used
> back then was:
> - the release team announced its intention to change the policy in
>   https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2011/03/msg00016.html
> - #625449 was filed against developers-reference
> - there was some discussion
> - the proposed change made it into developers-reference
>
> I believe that this was a very reasonable way to make such a change, and
> that there is no need to give explicit authority to the release team over
> the definition of the recommended delays for NMUs in developers-reference[1].
> [1] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.en.html#nmu
>
> Of course, if recommended NMU delays are discussed again in the future,
> I think that the release team's opinion should be heard with great
> attention, given the role of NMUs in achieving quicker bug fixing and, in
> fine, faster releases.

Hi Lucas,

This is somewhat troubling, as I pointed out in
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/dpl-helpers/2013-December/000124.html

Explicitly again: Please see the last 7 years worth of bits mails, where
the release team have lowered this without advance notice, for BSPs etc.

As you have chosen to explicitly remove this role of the release team,
without consensus, could you please state who you are now allowing to
change NMU policy?

Neil