Re: Better pdiff handling for apt

On 4 January 2014 12:40, Anthony Towns <aj@erisian.com.au> wrote:
> Salut tout le monde,
>
> Some time ago (*cough* 2009), I had a play with working out how to
> apply pdiffs more efficiently than apt currently does, and implemented
> a proof of concept in python [0]. There weren't any replies (even a
> "ooo, cool") when I posted to the deity list, so I left it at that;
> though trolling google now, I see that it got mentioned on -devel [1]
> not all that long ago (*cough* 2012), so apparently it did get read
> after all. Not that it looks like it would've done much good, because
> it seems like the script I put on the web, and the one I was actually
> using are completely different to the extent that the one on the web
> even has syntax errors. WTF?
>
> Anyhoo... Like many, I've been getting annoyed at how tedious pdiff
> application is over the past year, so over Christmas I thought I'd
> have a go at patching apt to do things "properly". I've got it to the
> point where it works now, and apt-get update reports things like:
>
>    Fetched 199 MB in 50s (3919 kB/s)

ooo, cool :-)

I thought that there was some kind of sprint (ftp-masters / dak /
buildd / or some such) which was meant to improve pdiff handling. And
I was waiting for that to happen =) Now i can't find/remember the
reference, and not sure now if that was about the client side
downloading/applying patches or server side pdiff generation.

--
Regards,

Dimitri.