'tty' output on kFreeBSD, etc. within sbuild

Hi,

Can anyone answer the following question which is puzzling me;
I have a piece of csh code which gets called during the build of a package
i'm maintaining. it does the following:

echo "useful information" > /dev/tty

within the script. (stdout, stderr being redirected, I think).
This fails on kFreeBSD at least, so i've patched it to:

set ttyf=`tty`
echo "useful information" > $ttyf

This works on Linux, and on the command line for me on a kFreeBSD machine,
but under sbuild I get:
$ttyf: Ambiguous.
Unable to build Makefile - fix above errors and re-run.

Any ideas as to whats happening and what I should do about it?

Regards
Alastair

--
Alastair McKinstry  , <alastair@sceal.ie> , <mckinstry@debian.org>  http://diaspora.sceal.ie/u/amckinstry
Anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world is either a madman or an economist - Kenneth Boulter, Economist.