Re: Removing packages from unofficial repositories

Simon,

On 01/02/2014 01:52 PM, Simon Ruggier wrote:
> I'm writing to suggest that in the long term, Debian's package
> management should have a general, user-friendly way to deal with
> situations like this, such as a mechanism to remove a repository
> subscription, and all package versions that came from it, while
> uninstalling as few as possible of  the reverse dependencies.

I don't think there is any appropriate package to file such a bug on as,
there can be no general way to downgrade, ever. To quote from our
infobot on irc:

"Downgrading is not, nor will ever be supported by apt.  Programs change
their data in a way that can't be rolled back, and package maintainer
scripts support upgrades to new config file formats but not downgrades."

The infobot further suggests in order to remove deb-multimedia.org packages:

If you want to remove the packages from deb-multimedia.org and reinstall
the packages from Debian repositories, one could do this: dpkg --remove
--force-depends $(aptitude search
'?narrow(?version(CURRENT),?origin(Unofficial Multimedia Packages))'
--disable-columns -F%p); remove the dmm repository from sources.list;
apt-get update; apt-get install -f; install the still missing packages
which were removed in the former process ...

It is an unfortunate consequence of using third party repositories that
the process is so unfriendly to users. Since the state of the official
multimedia packages in Debian has vastly improved in recent releases,
fortunately fewer and fewer users have to go through this unpleasant
process.

Ben