Re: Technical committee acting in gross violation of the Debian constitution

On Thu, 2014-12-04 at 21:14 +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> While using many more times the resources. You obviously have no idea of
> the challenges of providing secure web hosting for non-trivial
> quantities of web sites.
So what do you want to imply would be secure?

Apart from that, when you speak of "non-trivial" quantities - I'd
probably say that running gazillion websites from different entities on
one host is generally a really bad idea.

So I don't think your argument really counts that much (assumed I've
understood it correctly ;) ).

> > FastCGI is just a slightly more fancy way of doing this.
> FastCGI is another thing that almost nobody can afford when hosting
> a significant number of web sites.
Why not?

When I've investigated in mod-php vs. cgi vs. fcgi, the fcgi turned out
to have roughly the same performance as mod-php (plain cgi of course
much worse).
In addition: mod-php can only be used with mpm-prefork, as it's not
thread safe.

So I wouldn't see anything (except XYZ should run insecurely
out-of-the-box) which makes mod-php better in any use case than the
alternatives.

Cheers,
Chris.