Re: Please respect Freeze Policy

On Wed, Dec 03, 2014 at 10:42:54AM +0100, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
> Le mercredi, 3 décembre 2014, 10.20:32 W. Martin Borgert a écrit :
> > Would it be OK to abuse experimental for new upstreams during
> > freeze?
>
> during freezes, where unstable should only have
> changes targeted at testing (and therefore, currently, at jessie).

I don't read that in the freeze policy. Do you?
https://release.debian.org/jessie/freeze_policy.html

The key term about this in the freeze policy is "disruptive". It's up to the
package maintainer to judge whether a package update should go to unstable or
experimental depending on whether the package update could be disruptive in
unstable.

> Using
> experimental for new upstream versions is not at all an abuse;

Yes, the freeze policy suggests to use experimental for for changes that are
not suitable for jessie, to avoid disruption in unstable.

> it's
> exactly the suite one should be targeting for these changes!

Again, I don't read that in the freeze policy. Do you?
https://release.debian.org/jessie/freeze_policy.html

So, to answer W. Martin Borgert's question: Yes, it is OK to use experimental
for new upstream releases during the freeze, as mentioned in the freeze policy.

Regards,

Bart Martens