Re: Embedded systems and systemd

On Mon, Dec 01, 2014 at 10:58:45PM +0000, Roger Lynn wrote:
> On 29/11/14 13:30, Vincent Bernat wrote:
> >  ❦ 29 novembre 2014 12:41 GMT, Alastair McKinstry <alastair.mckinstry@sceal.ie> :
> >> One concern I'd have is the lack of flexibility to produce a cut-down
> >> system.  The option of "a dedicated init=/custom-program", but lack of
> >> an ntpd, for example, because ntp has been absorbed into systemd's
> >> orbit and other ntpd's bitrotted.
> >
> > Unlikely to happen since systemd-timesyncd is not a full NTP daemon. It
> > lacks ability to act as a server.
Yes, one of the explicit design goals of timesyncd it to be a simple client,
without server functionality. The assumption is that if you need a full NTP
server, that are excelent choices available (ntpd and chronyd).

> And it doesn't appear to regulate the system clock frequency, which
> basically makes it an inaccurate dumb SNTP client which steps the clock when
> it synchronises.
Please see http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/tree/src/timesync/timesyncd-manager.c?id=HEAD#n326 (manager_adjust_clock). timesync will adjust clock frequency
unless the offset is too big.

Zbyszek