Re: floating point testsuites on softfloat buildds

Hi,

Quoting Michael Banck (2014-12-01 14:22:12)
> 3. If 1 but not 2 are OK, should there be a way for packages to say "I should
>    really be built on a buildd without softfloat"?
>
> One proposal might be to add something like "XS-Buildd-Flags: hardfloat"
> to debian/control for packages, which ship a floating-point heavy
> testsuite as a first step.  This could possibly be extended for other
> buildd machine-specific features (though I am not sure off-hand which
> would benefit).

I was recently told in #debian-mentors that one can mail
${arch}@buildd.debian.org to restrict the buildd's on which a package is built
for architecture ${arch}. This might be able to solve your problem for now.

I would welcome a way that allows adding metadata to my source packages which
restricts the selection of buildd's it's built on.

For example I recently removed the --parallel argument from the dh invocation
in the d/rules of my package "vcmi" because individual calls to c++ easily eat
up to 2.3 GB of memory which leads to failures due to heavy swapping on buildds
that set DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=parallel=5 but only have 4 GB of physical RAM.

So in addition to asking for "hardfloat" it would be handy if one could specify
the required memory consumption as a function of parallel jobs such that either
the right buildd can be selected or the number of jobs can be reduced
accordingly.

cheers, josch