Re: Technical committee acting in gross violation of the Debian constitution

Am Donnerstag, 27. November 2014, 21:29:40 schrieb Marc Haber:
> On Thu, 27 Nov 2014 01:19:14 +0100, Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org>
>
> wrote:
> >Desktops (not only GNOME) use a very tiny bit of systemd, interfaces
> >that could be provided elsewhere. The real purpose of systemd is to
> >provide a modern init system.
>
> Why does it initialize the network, provide an NTP implementation and
> a radically new logging subsystem then?

Cause it isn´t an init system I thought and read somewhere, but a collection
of system building blocks (all in one repo and package), but the homepage
still says:

"systemd is a system and service manager for Linux, compatible with SysV and
LSB init scripts."

http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/

But well, a system manager is a quite broad term. system managing can be about
anything really.

And well, I also wonder why systemd --user functionality is in the *same*
binary than the PID 1 stuff… but well… I brought this upstream to no avail. At
least the logind stuff appears to be separate:

merkaba:~> ps -eo pid,cmd  ax | grep "[s]ystemd"
    1 /bin/systemd
  296 /lib/systemd/systemd-journald
  307 /lib/systemd/systemd-udevd
 1121 /lib/systemd/systemd-logind
 1171 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system --address=systemd: --nofork --nopidfile --
systemd-activation
 1815 /lib/systemd/systemd --user

But again, all upstream decisions.

Ciao,