Re: init system policy

Philip Hands <phil@hands.com> wrote:
> Not if you take into account the fact that someone will have had to do
> something like  :wq! to get past the read-only state of the file.
>
> vim put's a [RO] after the filename when you open it, and says this when
> you try to write it:
>
>   E45: 'readonly' option is set (add ! to override)
>
> in emacs, you get %% in the status line, and it tells you the file's
> read-only when you start trying to edit it, and refuses to do so until
> you type C-x C-q to flip it's read-only status.
>
> nano sadly doesn't seem to notice :-/

I just tried this, when you open a read-only file as a normal user it gives
you a warning.

edward@x230:~$ touch test
edward@x230:~$ chmod 400 test
edward@x230:~$ nano test

Nano says:

 [ Read 0 line ( Warning: No write permission) ]

It won't let me save the file with the same name, I get this error:

 [ Error writing test: Permission denied ]

When running as root the warning and error disappear, there is no indication
that the file is read-only.
--
Edward.