Re: New pre-depends: python pre-depends python-minimal

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 06:24:00PM -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> It appears that the appropriate resolution of  #769106 [1] is to add a new
> pre-depends on python-minimal in python.
>
> This issue at hand is that at the time python2.7-minimal is configured, python
> is unpacked, but python-minimal is not.  Since python-2.7-minimal doesn't have
> a direct depends on python-minimal, this is allowable (policy 7.2, Depends).
>
> In order for python2.7-minimal to configure, python-minimal needs to be at
> least unpacked to provide /usr/bin/pycompile.  The only way for python to
> ensure this is the case is to declare a pre-depends relation (also policy
> 7.2).

This is inaccurate. A python2.7-minimal pre-depends on python-minimal
ensures that python-minimal is unpackaged _and configured_ before
python2.7-minimal is unpacked. If you don't need python-minimal to be
configured before python2.7-minimal is unpacked, a regular dependency is
what you want.

A regular dependency will also ensure that python-minimal is configured
before python2.7-minimal is configured.

So I don't see the need for a pre-depends?

--
It is easy to love a country that is famous for chocolate and beer

  -- Barack Obama, speaking in Brussels, Belgium, 2014-03-26