Re: New pre-depends: python pre-depends python-minimal

* Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org>, 2014-11-18, 23:50:
As part of python2.7-minimal's configuration, /usr/share/python/runtime.d/public_modules.rtinstall gets executed. It's part of the python package. Since the dependency chain was texlive-music -> python -> python2.7-minimal, python is already unpacked, so the script is available.

The tricky part is that /usr/share/python/runtime.d/public_modules.rtinstall needs /usr/bin/pycompile in order to work. That's in (you guessed it) python-minimal. It's not available (and there's nothing in policy that says it has to be).

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the *.rtinstall hook in the same package as pycompile?

That sounds broken.

It is.

Why does python2.7-minimal run stuff

python2.X-minimal runs /usr/share/python/runtime.d/*.rtinstall hooks to let Python helpers bytecompile Python files for the newly installed Python version.

This kinda made sense in the olden days, when we had multiple supported Python versions. But now that we support only 2.7, it doesn't seem terribly useful.

from the python package?

Because that's where (parts of) the Python helper lives.

--
Jakub Wilk