Re: making dput a wrapper around git

Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.pro> writes:

> For packages that do use git as the VCS, dput would do a "git tag" and
> "git push", possibly using branches specifically intended for release.

I don't think ‘dput’ should be creating anything in the VCS. Instead,
the tagging and the ‘dput’ should be parallel and independent.

Keep the behaviour of ‘dput’ simple and predictable; it's never going
to create anything in the VCS, and developer workdlows can use it
knowing that will remain true.

If you want some more-complex tool that creates a VCS object and pushes
to a foreign VCS repository *as well as* the simple job of ‘dput’, make
that a separate tool (which, ideally, uses ‘dput’ to implement that part
of the behaviour).

I like the idea of the functionality you describe; but it belongs in a
different tool from ‘dput’.

--
 \       “You can be a victor without having victims.” —Harriet Woods, |
  `\                                                         1927–2007 |