Re: Please more fish

Michael Gilbert <mgilbert@debian.org> writes:
> On Sat, Nov 8, 2014 at 10:53 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> I don't want this to be taken as asking for criticism to be shut down,
>> so I'm not asking this of anyone who wants to agree with Michael.  If
>> you want to do that in public or private, please go ahead.  But I would
>> greatly appreciate not being the cause or motivation for another heated
>> argument on debian-devel, with anyone in the project, and I don't need
>> the public defense.

> My message is intentional, and intentionally harsh.

I know, and I respect that, and I think that I understand where you're
coming from.  And I also greatly appreciate the passion and love for the
project that led you to say what you said.

> The damage caused to the project by alienating Joey is astounding, and
> the inability to recognize that even more so.

I'm sure that a lot of us are doing a lot of soul-searching right now.  I
certainly am.  Not all of that is going to immediately happen in public.
I respect what you're saying, and I fully support you saying it in public
if you feel that will be helpful.  I'm not going to respond to the
substance of what you're saying right now mainly because there are a lot
of things that I want to think about, and I don't believe thinking about
them in public is right for me.

This is not a request for you to stop.

I thought Zlatan's message was beautiful, and it really touched me, and I
wanted to say that.  It may have been better if I'd said that in private.

Please do not read that message as implying that his message is all that
needs to ever be said, or that it should be the end of any conversation,
or even that it's everything that I'm personally thinking.