Removing conffiles AND directories in /etc

Hello,

I have a bug (#764235) in which after I remove all conffiles in
/etc/debtags with dpkg-maintscripthelper, the /etc/debtags directory
itself is left around.

This is what happens:

  # dpkg -i debtags_1.12.2_amd64.deb
  (Reading database ... 370467 files and directories currently installed.)
  Preparing to unpack ../debtags_1.12.2_amd64.deb ...
  Unpacking debtags (1.12.2) over (1.11) ...
  dpkg: warning: unable to delete old directory '/etc/debtags/sources.list.d': Directory not empty
  dpkg: warning: unable to delete old directory '/etc/debtags': Directory not empty
  dpkg: warning: unable to delete old directory '/etc/apt.conf.d': Directory not empty
  Setting up debtags (1.12.2) ...
  Removing obsolete conffile /etc/debtags/sources.list.d/source-example ...
  Removing obsolete conffile /etc/debtags/sources.list ...
  Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.0.2-2) ...

So, dpkg-maintscripthelper seems to do "Removing obsolete conffile"
after dpkg tries to delete old directories, so dpkg fails.

I'd be surprised if I were the first to encounter this problem: what is
the appropriate and clean way to get rid of *all* conffiles for a
package, including the directory that contains them?

Enrico

--
GPG key: 4096R/E7AD5568 2009-05-08 Enrico Zini <enrico@enricozini.org>