Re: Any news about Blends in tasks selection (Was: Debian Installer Jessie Beta 2 release)

Quoting Bas Wijnen (2014-10-15 19:49:32)
> On occasion, I've needed a single-use system; something that boots up
> into an application and that shuts down when that application exits.
> (Having the full power of Debian in the background is a nice feature,
> but mostly unused.)  For example, for dancing rehearsal I want the
> instructors to be able to switch their computer on and have the sound
> program start up without any interaction.  It isn't hard to set this
> up, but if I want to tell other dancing instructors how to do this, it
> requires more steps than I would like.  I've tried making custom live
> CDs, with a special package that does these things.
>
> Would this use case also be a reason for creating a personal blend?
> Or even an official one?  What would be the easiest way for people to
> install a non-official blend?  Should I create my own installer?
> Should the installer be changed to allow entering a URL (for an
> external apt source) before it presents the list of available blends?
> (I think this might be a good idea, but it shouldn't be in there by
> default; only when the user selects "back" on the blend selection
> menu.  Or perhaps there can be a button in that menu for opening the
> dialog, but if it's for adding any apt repository, the blends dialog
> is not the right place for it.)

That sounds like an excellent idea for a Blend!

You raise a bunch of questions on how that idea should be implemented
and work out in details - but that has is open for you as driver of a
Blend to figure out.

If you do decide to start create above as a Blend, and would be
interested in collaborating (with me), please do count me in!  I have
fumbled with a few ideas in the past that seems to fit perfectly to
above (e.g. a dead-simple videophone "PhoneHome" dialing a hardcoded
number, or a party jukebox with a touch keyboard (no avoid spilling
liquids into a real keyboard, or a gaming box to pacify visiting kids,
or...).

 - Jonas