Re: Possible abuse of dpkg-deb -z9 for xz compressed binary packages

Quoting Paul Wise (pabs@debian.org):
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 10:23 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>
> > As wrote by others earlier, that's the amount of memory needed for
> > compression. 65 MB of RAM is needed for decompression. That's nothing!!!
>
> That is half the RAM available on my Debian-based phone. Having to
> shut down the UI just to install Debian font packages would be
> annoying.

For the record, I de-activated the use of extreme compression on font
packages I recompiled recently (most often for other purposes than
just this). I found the various arguments exchanged during this
discussion convincing enough that this is useless and annoying for
most, if not all, font packages.