Re: Packaging proprietary software

On Thu, Oct 09, 2014 at 07:19:07AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 9:48 PM, Mathieu Slabbinck wrote:
>
> > I was wondering if anyone could point me to the best practice way of doing
> > this.
>
> Best practice would be to contact the copyright holder and ask them to
> convert the software to FLOSS. If they refuse to do so, then try to
> find, write or convince someone to write an alternative. If all of
> that fails and you still need the proprietary spftware, install it
> locally and you are done.

"install it locally" is most easily done by "generate a package, install said
package". Can we stop judging people by what they're trying to do, please?
We're not the FSF here.

Thanks.

--
It is easy to love a country that is famous for chocolate and beer

  -- Barack Obama, speaking in Brussels, Belgium, 2014-03-26