Re: Allow encfs into jessie?

Hallo,
* Matthias Urlichs [Mon, Sep 29 2014, 07:29:44AM]:

> > >  According to a security audit by Taylor Hornby (Defuse Security), the current
> > >  implementation of Encfs is vulnerable or potentially vulnerable to multiple
> > >  attacks on the encrypted data. This especially affects use cases where the
> > >  attacker has read/write access to the encrypted directory or has enough
> > >  knowledge of the unencrypted file system contents.
> > >  .
> s/especially/only/, AFAIK.

Maybe, but: "only" could sound like absolution to clueless users and I
am not willing to make such suggestions.

> > >  In the current situation encfs should not be considered a safe home for
> > >  sensible data. This package should be only used to retrieve information from
>
> s/sensible/sensitive/

Ouch, thank you.

> > >  previously encrypted sources, and even this action contains some risk of
> > >  receiving compromised data.
> >
> To recap the security analysis, as I understood it: There's a problem if
> somebody has, or had, access to the encrypted files _and_ can store random
> data of their choosing there (by manipulating either the encrypted or the
> unencrypted files). The notice should unequivocally state exactly that,
> instead of the current level of (IMHO) panic mongering.
>
> In most scenarios (encrypt some personal or corporate data stored on NFS,
> use reverse mode to store an encrypted backup of sensitive stuff to the
> cloud, whatever) this is a non-problem.

I agree regarding most scenarios and I changed the text now. However,
it's hard to keep the text understandable for average user and mention
all relevant dangers without goind too much into details.

So, I suggest this new version. Added below for review; I consider
uploading this to Experimental and submitting for l10n in a couple of
days.

Regards,
Eduard.

Template: encfs/security-information
Type: error
 According to a security audit by Taylor Hornby (Defuse Security), the current
 implementation of Encfs is vulnerable or potentially vulnerable to multiple
 types of attacks. For example, an attacker with read/write access to encrypted
 data might lower the decryption complexity for subsequently encrypted data
 without being noticed by the legimitate user, or may compute encryption
 information by timing analysis.
 .
 Until these issues are resolved, encfs should not be considered a safe home
 for sensitive data in certain scenarios.