Re: Possible abuse of dpkg-deb -z9 for xz compressed binary packages

On 09/04/2014 03:10 AM, Christian Kastner wrote:
> Benefits: from the numbers posted in this thread, the size savings
> compared to the default compression level for some sample packages are
> somewhere around 3% to 4%. I claim that *practical* benefits from this
> saving are insignificant to minor at best; counter-examples to this
> claim are welcome.

If you're doing a large deployment of a cluster, and that your
bottleneck is the network and/or the mirrors, but you don't really care
how fast your nodes are uncompressing, and if anyway they always have a
lot of RAM, then you will effectively "win" 3 to 4% of the time needed
to deploy your cluster. Now imagine that this is a big HPC system that
we're talking about, and that you're paying a large amount of money to
rent it, then it's well possible that 3 to 4% is a significant cost.

Thomas Goirand (zigo)