Re: Possible abuse of dpkg-deb -z9 for xz compressed binary packages

Hi,

 It's not abuse, "possible" abuse (IMO, at least :)
  - xz -z9 is very efficient for some cases (e.g. huge font package)
  - good for mirror infrastructures and low-bandwidth client

On Thu, 4 Sep 2014 10:49:59 +0200
Thorsten Glaser <tg@debian.org> wrote:
> Such as mips?

 Surely it would be not comfortable for low-spec machine
  - but huge font packages would be installed to Desktop environment
    And today's average desktop has enough power, not low-spec
  - and it's only installation time (one time), not so harmful, IMHO

 It's a kind of "trade-off" issue, I choose mirror infrastructures and
 low-bandwidth client
  - so please don't regulate by system, please
  - lintian "info" tag is enough, IMO

 Of course, it's better to search "hotspot" for each package

 There's no perfect answer for EVERY system, our choice relies on
 balance for cost/profit, loss/benefit and pros/cons.

 Sometimes xz -z7(or 8,9) is better than -z6 (yes, sometimes), so I
 choose it.

 e.g. fonts-horai-umefont

81M     data.tar
19M     data.tar.xz (-6, default)
5.3M    data.tar.xz (-9e)

 Obvious result: 5.3MB vs 19MB :-)

 As compression:
 - Now
    "Arch: All" package is built on uploaders box, so there's no hurm for
     buildd.
 - future
    It may hurm buildd, but use non-low performance machine would be fine.
    If it prevents buildd works since its compression eats mem, then we
    should invest more to servers, IMO.

 As decompression:

 Q: Can I install font package that was compressed with xz -z9e to
   low-mem machine?

 A: Yes, you can install fonts even if you're using low-mem machine.
    Probably installation is not comfartable for you and takes time,
    but it works.

 It's choice of "focus": I prefer benefit for 99% client (and mirror
 infrastructure). It's not best choice for lower-spec machine, but it
 wouldn't prevent to use it, just takes more time for only font package
 installation, and no performance issue on usage.

--
Regards,

 Hideki Yamane     henrich @ debian.or.jp/org
 http://wiki.debian.org/HidekiYamane