Re: apache2 issues

On 29 July 2014 19:04, Jeroen Dekkers <jeroen@dekkers.ch> wrote:
As far as I can see this is a bug in the apache2 packaging. The httpd
virtual package should be provided by the apache2 package, not the
apache2-bin package, because the apache2-bin package doesn't provide a
working webserver. Bug report I just filed about this:

Ok, this bug was fixed, leading me to re-investigate this again.

It isn't very easy to specify what httpd-wsgi should mean, because
some WSGI servers are full webservers with WSGI support such as apache
and others like gunicorn are only supposed to run behind a proxying
server such as apache or nginx (similar to for example php-fpm).

So as far as I can see, the correct dependency should be:

Depends: libapache2-mod-wsgi | httpd-wsgi, apache2 | httpd

So it also possible to run other webservers.

I just noticed there is still another potential problem.

With the above, either libapache2-mod-wsgi (Python2 only) or libapache2-mod-wsgi-py3 (Python3 only) will satisfy the depends.

Does this mean I should also depend on both python-* and python3-*? Even though only one will ever get used?

What happens if the package only has Python2 or Python3 support, not both?

To me, it is starting to look like we need two virtual packages for httpd-wsgi  - one for Python2, and one for Python3. Then I can explicitly set use one my Depends (e.g. Python3), and not worry about supporting the other Python version (e.g. Python2).
--
Brian May <brian@microcomaustralia.com.au>