Re: Trimming priority:standard

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 03:54:21AM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Sep 16, James McCoy <jamessan@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > As I said in my other reply, the intent of vim-tiny is to provide a vi
> > command.  The fact that it is using Vim to do so is the means, not the
> > end.
> I think it's more complex than this: I like vim-tiny because I can use
> it on small images without wasting space for the dependencies, and after
> setting nocompatible it's as much as good as regular vim for system
> administration tasks.

The very informed/knowledgeable user isn't the one that soured my
perception of the choice to have vim-tiny provide /usr/bin/vim.  It's
rather the people that know enough to get by on Vim and be comfortable
installing various plugins, but don't really delve much deeper into Vim.
They setup a new computer, deploy their dotfiles somehow, run vim and
then see things not working because only vim-tiny is installed, so a bug
gets filed.

So while I agree that being able to "flip the switch" to have
/usr/bin/vi act more like a typical Vim install for that editing session
is useful, I don't agree the same to be true about vim-tiny also
providing /usr/bin/vim.  A standard install provides /usr/bin/vi and if
you happen to know it's provided via a stripped down build of Vim, then
feel free to take advantage of that.  Otherwise, actively install Vim to
get what is going to behave as expected.

Cheers,
--
James
GPG Key: 4096R/331BA3DB 2011-12-05 James McCoy <jamessan@debian.org>