Re: locale choices: <null>, C, C.UTF-8, en_US.UTF-8 and availability

* Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org>, 2014-09-15, 11:23:
There are some packages which care about more details of the locale, for a variety of good and bad reasons (I've seen ones that naïvely decompose it and try to use the language part as a directory name, for instance), and those are more difficult to handle. If this is done at build-time then I would normally suggest build-depending on locales (not locales-all) and using localedef to generate a temporary locale for the course of the build.

One gotcha with generating locales is that locales-all has "Provides: locales", but it does not include all the data localedef(1) needs. You either need to make the build-dependency versioned, or <advert>use localehelper[0] instead of localedef.</advert>

[0] http://jwilk.net/software/localehelper

--
Jakub Wilk