Re: Can a leaf package require SSE2 on i386?

Le 14/09/2014 08:47, Sébastien Villemot a écrit :
> So I have two options: either ship a i386 package that only works on
> SSE2 processors (ideally giving a meaningful error message when run on
> older CPUs); or drop support for i386, which is a disservice to our
> users (the few who have a SSE2-capable but not x86-64-capable processor
> will be left out; and those who are running the i386 arch on a
> x86-64-capable processor will have to cross-grade to amd64 or at least
> use multi-arch with a 64-bit kernel).

I'm in the category of people who installed their Debian 8 years ago, on
an old AMD processor, only i686. My hardware was upgraded since, but the
system remains. I've searched for cross-grade, but nothing serious comes
out, except "reinstall everything". If you have some clear documentation
(at least some steps, I'm curious enough to read some apt manuals), I
think you can go on dropping i386 architecture.
Otherwise, even if I'm not a julia user, I'll be really sad to see a
package lost only because SSE2 is needed.

Adrien