Re: Trimming priority:standard

On 12/09/2014 18:41, Josh Triplett wrote:
> ...I think this makes more sense: *neither* version of Make should have
> priority standard.  Bug filed.

[And lots of other utility also requested to be removed from Standard
priority..]

  When I see that 'make' and other well-known programs should not be
installed on a system where we want "standard" Unix utilities to be
there, I ask myself what "standard" Unix utilities are.
  I know that it can be easily installed with apt-get. But I appreciate
to have a bunch of classic utilities to be installed when I ask for
the "standard utilities" to be installed. Some tweak to the list
can/should be done. But do not restrict the list to the essential ones
(or provide a new task for standard-but-non-essential ones)

  Some reflexions:
I agree with you on "at" (and any other proposal to decrease the number
of daemons) and "dc". But I see lots of people around me using "bc" for
very small calculus. I also think that having the "mailx" program
installed is a good thing, not for regular use but for occasional use
when going on a unix system where we do not know what is installed
exactly (in this case, I try in order mutt, mailx, less, more, cat)

  Regards,
    Vincent

--
Vincent Danjean       GPG key ID 0xD17897FA         vdanjean@debian.org
GPG key fingerprint: 621E 3509 654D D77C 43F5  CA4A F6AE F2AF D178 97FA