Re: Trimming priority:standard

Le 12/09/2014 15:49, Thorsten Glaser a écrit :
> On Fri, 12 Sep 2014, Josh Triplett wrote:
[...]
> bc is the standard Unix calculator, normally a dc frontend,
> and used in *a lot* of scripts.
[...]
> Eh sorry? at+cron are standard Unix.
[...]
> But then, an MTA configured to listen and deliver locally,
> and send mails out, belongs to a standard system…

Hi,

I agree that all those tools belong to a standard UNIX system. However,
is that among our goals to provide people with a standard UNIX system by
default? Do our users care?

These tools really make sense only for a subset of our users (mostly,
network administrators). Our desktop users don't care for any of those,
as long as they are pulled in transparently when required by the stuff
they actually use.

The same holds for telnet: most users have no clue what to do with it.

As an example, on my laptop, nobody ever uses any of theses tools. I
don't read local mail. I send mail using SMTP. I don't write that many
shell scripts, using higher end languages that don't need bc for doing
maths. I do care for locate, though.

Not that I care much personally about trimming prio:standard, but why
not move a lot of this stuff to a "standard UNIX-like" task (or whatever
you want to call it) instead?

Kind regards, Thibaut.