Re: PackageKit cleanup: Do you use these functions?

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 01:43:01PM +0200, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
[..snip..]
> The problem with restarting applications and subsystems is that you
> never know if the loose state information if you just restart them
> (e.g. Inkscape going down on upgrade would be pretty
> annoying). Also,

Why should it go down? It's mapped into memory already. There can be
problems with plugins but it would make more sense to think about
these details than resorting to rebooting (twice!). Btrfs could show a way
forward here.

> if e.g. a bug in a shared library gets fixed which is used by many
> programs, you would have to re-execute quite a lot of stuff. On
> servers, I expect people to handle that and know about this, but for
> desktop users, I see some value in offline-updating.

We have at least three tools in Debian for that checkrestart,
needrestart and whatmaps. We need to improve here to handle user
sessions better but again let's not switch to the sledgehammer without
having even tried.

> Restarting the whole system is a pretty pragmatic solution for the
> problem, you have to restart to use a new kernel as well anyway.

There KSplice among others.
Cheers,
 -- Guido