Re: PackageKit cleanup: Do you use these functions?

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 10:38:52PM +0200, Ralf Jung wrote:
> >> And at least I would prefer offline updates over my web browser crashing
> >> or shell completion breaking (until re-exec of the shell to be
> >> compatible with plugins).

> > I would much prefer to not have to reboot the entire system and lose
> > all state for the sake of a couple of userland application updates. If
> > things don't work, file bugs. If the latest shiny desktop stuff can't
> > cope with re-exec etc. well, then I'm glad to not be using it. :-/

> Then just not use this feature, and do your updates as you always did.
> It's entirely optional, after all.

This argument is either naive or disingenuous.  Yes, it's an optional
feature; it's also a feature that Matthias himself has said he would like
unexperienced users to use.  The only way that it's going to be available to
unexperienced users is if it's /the default/.  And if it's used by default,
authors are going to blithely carry on implementing their software in a way
that works badly when doing online upgrades, because everyone has agreed
that this is "acceptable" - even Debian is doing it, and nobody cares more
about upgrades that Debian!

I understand that software (especially desktop software) not coping with
online updates is an existing problem.  The question is whether we -
collectively - think moving to offline updates is an acceptable way to
address this problem.  And the time to raise that question is now, /before/
it becomes an entrenched assumption and leaves our users with no choice but
to use it because their desktops become unusably broken if you apply package
updates while they're running.