Re: calling maintainer scripts with a clean environment?

On 09/03/2014 09:40 AM, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On 02/09/14 20:09, Evgeni Golov wrote:
>> after reading #759590, I think it is time to consider calling maintainer
>> scripts in a (slightly) cleaned environment.
>
> Another possibility would be to guarantee that init scripts will be
> called in a cleaned environment. This seems like it will break fewer
> expectations, because systemd and (AIUI) Upstart do this anyway, sysv-rc
> does this during boot, and service(8) does this when a sysadmin uses it
> to invoke an init script explicitly; the missing piece of the puzzle is
> that invoke-rc.d(8) does not.

While pimping invoke-rc.d sounds like a good idea (and should be done),
I'd prefer the postrm pg_dump that is called from dbconfig-common not to
be executed with eatmydata either. Or with something else that is
preciously hidden in some LD_PRELEOAD.

My examples were init-specific, yeah. But IMHO this should apply for
everything called via maintainer scripts.