Re: Re: Possible abuse of dpkg-deb -z9 for xz compressed binary packages

> Hi Changwoo Ryu,
>
>> I think yes. The cost is 24 MiB extra memory on installation, and
>> benefits are bandwidth and mirror size saving of big packages.
>
> I beg to differ. Those few kiB of bandwidth (yes, I mean it like that)
> saved when downloading a package are worthless if the decompresion
> routine forces the system onto its knees upon installation of that very
> same package.

As I posted in earlier mail, for *big* packages it could actually save
good amount of size  "per package". The total space save in the whole
archive could be a few gigabytes. And almost all desktop machines
don't fail to allocate additional memory xz needs.

OK, anyone could type "apt-get install texlive-latex-extra-doc" on
lowmem machines to install 400 MiB documents and fail on
decompressing. But for what purpose? Practically no one needs to
install such big packages on non-desktop lowmem machines. IMO
bandwidth and mirror space are much more valuable than supporting
unlikely lowmem install combinations.