Re: Base binary packages using xz instead of gzip

On 09/01/2014 at 11:45 AM, Colin Watson wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 01, 2014 at 01:57:10PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
>
>> On Sep 01, Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org> wrote:
>>
>>> with COMP=xz gives 145 packages, with COMP=gz it gives 21. So I
>>> guess it would make sense to decide if people still care about
>>> bootstrapping from other systems where xz-utils might not be
>>> available. I think a
>>
>> Not at all. If anybody really cares then I suggest that they add
>>  support for xzdec to debootstrap.
>
> debootstrap has supported data.tar.xz since 2010.  The thing that's
> relevant here, which is outside our control, is whether the
> non-Debian systems from which one might be running debootstrap have
> xz-utils available.

How so?

If debootstrap supports xz decompression, then surely it doesn't matter
whether some outside source for xz compression / decompression is
available.

Unless debootstrap relies on the outside source to perform that
decompression, of course, but in that case I'm not sure what it would
even mean to say that debootstrap "supports" xz in the first place.

- --
      The Wanderer

side of it.

Every time you let somebody set a limit they start moving it.
  - LiveJournal user antonia_tiger

- --
   The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.