Re: Base binary packages using xz instead of gzip

On 01/09/14 12:33, Guillem Jover wrote:
> It seems there's quite many binary packages in the base system using
> xz as compressor instead of gzip, since the switch to xz as default,
> which might make debootstrapping from non-Debian systems harder.

According to your report, 145 out of 166 base packages use xz, and
nobody seems to have even noticed until now? I think that could be
considered to be evidence in favour of "nobody actually minds; xz all
round!" and a smaller download for the remaining 21 base system packages...

As far as I can tell, the only additional requirement imposed on those
non-Debian systems is "you must have xzcat(1)"; and that could easily be
obtained by unpacking, for instance, wheezy's busybox-static. (sid's
busybox-static is xz-compressed.)