Re: Standardizing the layout of git packaging repositories

On Aug 20, 2014, at 02:17 PM, Ian Jackson wrote:

>I am planning to have dgit do some git-dpm'ish things, probably
>actually using git-dpm.

Excellent.  I've been playing around with git-dpm (as described over in
debian-python@) and it does a lot of nice things.  There are a few glitches
IMHO, but nothing insurmountable.  It mostly handles the conversions between
git and quilt pretty nicely - so far.

OTOH, I'm philosophically aligned with the goals of dgit, i.e. having the vcs
branch exactly mirror what's in the archive.

>Personally, I think this is a waste of time.  git's UI is appalling
>but it is by far the most capable VCS in existence.  Attempting to
>cater to the lowest common denominator will be crippling for any new
>tool or approach.

Agreed on both points. :)

>Will you be at Debconf ?  I'm hoping to have some more handwaving
>etc. about this kind of thing there.

I'm hoping there will be discussions regarding vcs at Debconf (I will be
there), especially among the DPMT for planning on a transition from svn to
git.

Cheers,
-Barry