Re: Standardizing the layout of git packaging repositories

On Aug 16, 2014, at 04:28 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:

>Why?!? Is there some sort of religion around tarballs? Shouldn't it be
>the same stuff that "git archive" does? If it isn't, why is this the
>case? Shouldn't one be able to use what's in the Git repository anyway?
>Why can't it be fixed? Aren't we supposed to "build from source" anyway?
>Isn't the upstream git repository the "preferred form for modification",
>closer to what someone should be using when contributing upstream? Why
>is it the case that upstream prefers that we use something generated
>from his git repository? Shouldn't all what upstream generates in the
>release tarball also done by the Debian package build anyway?

This all assumes very specific upstream release workflows.  It might be fine
in many cases, but there's such wide variety in upstream development processes
that a maintainer would have to know much more about how upstream releases
than they do now.

I think about the typical PyPI package.  I really don't have to know much
about how upstream generated the tarball on PyPI (*and* signature/checksum),
just that they magically did so.  The upstream tarball is a shorthand and a
very convenient abstraction for the upstream's magic - and perhaps not easily
discovered - release process.

>So yes, please do generate orig.tar.xz out of PGP signed tags, and do
>Debian git-buildpackage based on tags repository, using the upstream git
>repository as source. That's the correct technical thing to do, and you
>wont regret it! As an upstream: please accept progress and convenience.

As Debian developers, I think we generally shouldn't be dictating best
practices to upstreams.  Let them do whatever is most comfortable to them and
let them concentrate on making good software!  Upstreams have a lot more
concerns then how well their branches fit into Debian's packaging machinery.
Sure, most upstreams are pretty Debian friendly, but they might have to worry
about how releases get made for vastly different OSes (i.e. not even Linux) so
Debian can be just a blip for them.  I.e. nice if they can make our lives
easier but don't count on it.

For better or worse, the tarball is the abstracted medium of exchange between
upstreams and downstreams, and it makes good sense to have that.

(I'm not arguing against using an upstream git tag when it *does* all work
nice and smoothly, just saying you can't count on it, and should force our
workflows onto upstreams'.)

Cheers,
-Barry