Re: Standardizing the layout of git packaging repositories

On 2014-08-15 16:16, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>   - pkg/<version>
>   (note: git-buildpackage uses debian/<version> but I find this confusing
>   as we then also have the "debian/" prefix for ubuntu or kali uploads, we
>   don't need the vendor prefix as the usual versioning rules embed the
>   downstream distribution name (e.g. 1.0-0ubuntu1) and thus there can't be
>   any conflict on the namespace, keeping a prefix is important to easily
>   differentiate tags created by upstream developers from tags created
>   by packagers)

On the contrary, I believe the argument can be made that mixing tags
from different distributions under one prefix -- as you propose -- would
be much more confusing.

Ideally speaking, debian/<version> currently tells me that every tag in
there corresponds to a Debian upload, and vice versa. Consequently, I
don't want to see a tag in there from downstream distros, as that
relationship would no longer hold.

That argument also holds from a downstream distro's POV.
ubuntu/1.0-0ubuntu1 might look redundant, but I find the upload<->tag
relationship much more important that having slightly prettier tag names.

I think <vendor>/<version> is the way to go.

> - are there other important things to standardize?

"dfsg" branches are also common.