Re: [FFmpeg-devel] Reintroducing FFmpeg to Debian

Hi

On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 09:10:23AM -0400, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 3:01 AM, Matthias Urlichs <matthias@urlichs.de> wrote:
[...]
> > IMHO it's reasonable to expect core APIs to be upwards-compatible and keep
> > deprecated interfaces around for another release or two.
>
> This is exactly what Libav is doing: The deprecation process for
> symbols, APIs, enums, etc. takes *years*, because so many software
> packages in Debian and else where use them, and it is so believably
> painful to change them. Just have a look at the last two Libav
> transitions, and the massive amount of patches it took to get packages
> fixed and eventually to get Debian to the new Libav release.

> Now enter FFmpeg.
>
> FFmpeg has a significant higher release frequency, (it seems to me
> about every 3-4 months), so that you would get a deprecation cycle
> that is considerably less than a year. In practice, the deprecation
> cycle more or less seems to match Libav's cycle, because at least
> right now, FFmpeg  tracks Libav's API. If that were not the case (and
> I promise you FFmpeg would stop tracking Libav as soon as it replaces
> Libav in Debian), I can almost guarantee [1] you that FFmpeg would
> very much prefer to resume to the deprecation cycle the project
> before: None, i.e., every piece of software is expected to keep up
> with FFmpeg's master branch for reasons Jean-Yves outlines.

These fears are unfounded and these predictions not only do not match
reality they also lack any reason or motive for FFmpeg. We would be
shooting us in our own foot if we randomly broke API or stopped
integrating improvments

It has always been my wish to provide the best multimedia software
to the world. And sure us including all improvments and bugfixes from
Libav is in line with that.

also you have write access to FFmpeg git ...

and iam happy to work together with andreas and anyone else on
debian lifecycle releases.
And you are certainly welcome too

[...]

When the tyrant has disposed of foreign enemies by conquest or treaty, and
there is nothing more to fear from them, then he is always stirring up
some war or other, in order that the people may require a leader. -- Plato