Rebuilding the archive with new build flags

Hi all,

A few weeks ago I mentioned on -devel[1] that dpkg-buildflags would be
switching from -fstack-protector to -fstack-protector-strong, a new GCC
4.9 feature. This change has now landed in unstable with dpkg 1.17.11.

Moritz tells me that the Security Team can request binNMUs for a set of
packages that have been identified as security-sensitive[2] if they
don't get rebuilt with the new flag by the time we freeze for jessie.

However, I think it would be better to ensure maximum coverage of the
archive by rebuilding everything that can benefit from the flag, i.e.
all the packages that use dpkg-buildflags via debhelper >= 9 or cdbs,
and produce arch:any binaries.

Has this kind of mass binNMU been attempted before? Who would I need to
talk to to get this done at least on amd64 and i386 before the freeze?

Thanks,

[1]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2014/06/msg00453.html
[2]: http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/secure-testing/hardening/
--