Re: Reverting to GNOME for jessie's default desktop

Le Fri, Aug 08, 2014 at 06:50:40PM +0200, Lorenzo Bandieri a écrit :

> In my own PCs most of the time I have Arch Linux installed, and I use
> Gnome 3 as my DE of choice since its first release. However, when I
> have to install a GNU/Linux distro in a system I do not directly
> control (i.e. my sister's pc, my mom's pc etc), or when I want a solid
> distro, I always install Debian for its great stability, and I usually
> choose Xfce as the DE. This is just to say that I have experience with
> both the DE and I like them both, but in different ways.

<my life as well>

I installed Debian Wheezy with GNOME on the computer of three colleagues and I
had strictly zero complains on the user interface.  The most negative comment
was from a Mac user, that for cut-and-pasting text in the terminal, pressing
Ctrl-C or Ctrl-V does not give the expected result, but it is an unfair comment
since the same is true on Mac.  It is just that on Mac, cut-and-paste is done
with the ‘command’ key (⌘) instead of Control, and there is no such key on
GNOME.  Also, he quickly figured out by himself that Shift-Control-C/V do what
he wants.

Another colleague installed a Debian Wheezy virtual machine with GNOME by
herself, and spontaneoulsy told me how impressed she was by the user
interface of Debian.

The common point between these colleagues, is that they knew nothing about the
Gnome 2/3 controversy, and were more used to the Mac or Windows interfaces.

</my life as well>

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan