Re: ifupdown2 by Cumulus Networks

Hello,

On Wed, 6 Aug 2014 00:58:35 +0200
Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 2014-08-05 at 23:51:04 +0200, Vincent Bernat wrote:
> > Cumulus Networks is using Debian as a base and has produced
> > "ifupdown2", a "compatible" replacement for ifupdown written in
> > Python:
> > https://github.com/CumulusNetworks/ifupdown2/tree/master/ifupdown2
> >
> > They maintain a state of what is done and apply changes
> > incrementally to avoid any disruption. This is quite interesting.
> > Has anyone worked with them on that?
> >
> > I know the main author. May I propose him to package it in Debian?

> Hmm, given your wording I'm wondering if the ifupdown maintainer
> (CCed) is aware of what seems to be a “plan” (given the project name)
> to supercede that package?

I first heard of them when they proposed a talk for DebConf, but they
have never tried to contact me, which seemed a bit strange to me. What
I don't understand about this project is the use of Python here: isn't
really suitable for this? I was hesitating to use smaller scripting
languages and tried to keep the C code as tiny as possible... And now
Python. Do we not care about separate /usr any more?

--
Cheers,
  Andrew