Re: apache2 issues

On 29 July 2014 09:40, Brian May <brian@microcomaustralia.com.au> wrote:
Fair enough, change that depends to depends on "apache2 | httpd".

However, now when I install it, for reasons I don't understand, apt-get prefers to install apache2-bin over apache2 (thought it should default to the first item???). This provides httpd and satisfies the depends. apache2 is required for Apache 2.4 configuration, as only it provides /usr/share/apache2/apache2-maintscript-helper.

Oh, Just worked out what is happening here.

My depends contained:

..., libapache2-mod-wsgi, apache2 | httpd, ...

Which curiously, lintian was happy with.

libapache2-mod-wsgi requires apache2-api-20120211 which is provided by apache2-bin, which gets installed. I assume apt-get then looks at the next dependency, see it is already satisfied (apache2-bin provides httpd), and skips it.

So ideally I only want to depend on libapache2-mod-wsgi if apache2 is installed, but this is not possible.

Think I will go back to my previous plan of creating an -apache package that is just for configuring Apache access, have it depend both on libapache2-mod-wsgi and apache2, and ignore the web-application-should-not-depend-unconditionally-on-apache2 Lintian warning this generates. If you use another webserver, you don't need to install the -apache package.
--
Brian May <brian@microcomaustralia.com.au>