Re: [FFmpeg-devel] Reintroducing FFmpeg to Debian

El 28/07/2014 07:40, "Jonathan Dowland" <jmtd@debian.org> escribió:

> On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 08:05:22PM -0400, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> > I think it would be best if ftp-master left the ffmpeg package in NEW
> > until an answer to this problem has been found.
>
> That would leave people who are eagerly awaiting ffmpeg(1) stranded in limbo
> whilst the tangential library issue is fought over.

Agreed,
The (great) packaging effort Andreas has gone through allows us to have both in experimental/unstable in order to let the users test it, and allow the multimedia packages  maintainers make their mind about it.

With this package in we can also see how many bugs come in and how prompt are Andreas and the FFmpeg developers (that have shown great interest in this work) to resolve Debian bugs. And then with all that real data, decide what we want to ship.

As described in Andreas thorough mail, there are only 2 packages that can't use both (and iirc they currently FTBFS as upstream uses FFmpeg) and 5 packages that could need a transition, so the release team can just pop an RC bug on ffmpeg until all is sorted out to ensure it doesn't get into testing.

I believe we should get ffmpeg out of new asap in order to be able to have some real data by freeze time.

Cheers,
--
Niv Sardi