importing in git the history of a Debian package

This script shows how to import in git the complete history of a Debian
package. It creates a structure of a properly merged upstream tree and
Debian changes.

http://www.linux.it/~md/software/import-inn2.sh

It may not be pretty and is slightly DWIM, but it worked for all of my
packages (some of them with very broken stuff in old releases and a mix
of 1.0, 1.0+DBS, 1.0+quilt and 3.0) while everything else that I tried
has failed.

For a good example pull my inn2 tree and have a look at it in gitk:
http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/users/md/inn2/ .

Even if the first releases used DBS, so it was not practical to import
the corresponding upstream sources, all Debian changes have been
imported and can be easily browsed.

Another interesting example is kmod, where I have the complete history
of the real upstream git tree as an upstream branch which keeps being
merged in the Debian branch at every upstream release:
http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/users/md/kmod/ .
In this case I used the same script, but I made it use the upstream git
tree instead of importing the .orig.tar.gz files.

--
ciao,
Marco