Re: people.debian.org will move from ravel to paradis and become HTTPS only

On Sun, July 20, 2014 21:34, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Because it's not an improvement to the service; it's a change that makes
> the *service* to Debian developers worse, for political reasons.

I don't agree that it gets worse or that it is for political reasons, but
even if it were, it being political does not make the reason bad per se.

> Telling DDs "you can just host the files on your own server" is missing
> the point of why people.debian.org exists in the first place.

Well, why does it exist in the first place?
Maybe it helps if we would have a clear idea of what the reason is that we
offer this service. What do we expect that people use or not use it for?
The project does not need to facilitate each and every thing any DD can
dream up - it needs to provide those things that help develop Debian.
I use project resources to work on developing our OS; I expect our
services to be considerate of that use case but do not expect them to
facilitate anything else.

The use case broken by this change is preseeding installs over plain http
from a server somewhere on the internet. I find it doubtful whether this
would be something we need to be facilitating as a project.

Thijs