Re: Override disparity checks

Luca Falavigna wrote:

>IMO, these should be handled on a case-by-case basis.

Agreed.

>Looking more at it, it seems there are a lot of packages requiring
>dependencies which are extra:

There is a bug in the file, IMHO, though:

mediawiki:
  dependency:
    php5-mysqlnd: extra

The situation is:

| Depends: apache2 | httpd, php5,
|  php5-mysql | php5-pgsql | php5-sqlite | php5-mysqlnd,
                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^
|  php5-common (>= 5.5.0+dfsg-10~), mime-support, libjs-jquery,
|  libjs-jquery-tipsy, libjs-jquery-cookie, libjs-jquery-form,
|  mediawiki-classes, debconf (>= 0.5) | debconf-2.0

I think that an alternative dependency, if itâ??s part of a
group which has other dependencies that can be fulfilled
within the distribution and suite, should not be listed
here. (These other dependencies probably need to be before
the extra one, since alternatives are ordered. This is the
case here, though.)

>Looking at the policy again, I think extra is (mis)used quite too often.

That it (probably) is. Anything in 'extra' without either
a Conflicts or a Breaks or being Broken by another package
probably always is wrong. But see above, first.

bye,
//mirabilos