Re: Transition plan for changing the default init system

Am 17.07.2014 02:31, schrieb Ben Hutchings:
> On Wed, 2014-07-16 at 23:22 +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> [...]
>> New installations
>> =================
>> The new "init" package will ensure that systemd-sysv is installed as
>> default init on Linux and by demoting the priority of sysvinit and
>> sysvinit-core to optional those packages will not be installed anymore.
> [...]
>
> Since sysvinit-core will conflict with a package of priority standard (I
> assume that's what systemd-sysv will be upgraded to), its priority
> should be extra on Linux.

We are planning to update the priority of systemd and systemd-sysv to
required and demoting sysvinit and sysvinit-core to optional.
I'll amend the patch for sysvinit accordingly.

  (Also, it should actually have a Conflicts
> header.)

You mean something like [1]?

 But I don't know whether dak allows priority to vary
> per-architecture.

That is not possible, see also Ansgars reply [2]. That means on
kfreebsd/hurd the "init" package would depend on a priority: optional
package. We are aware that this is a policy violation but it is unclear
if any actual problems arise from that. So input on that is appreciated.

Michael

[1]
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=collab-maint/sysvinit;a=commitdiff;h=5f276405bf288173f276d791cfb06e236919a6b6
[2] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2014/07/msg00612.html