Re: Let's shrink Packages.xz

Ondřej Surý <ondrej@sury.org> writes:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2014, at 18:25, Jakub Wilk wrote:

>> Food for thought:
>> Which fields take up most space in Packages.xz[0]?

> I am still lost - what problem are we trying to solve here?
> Could we at least define it to see if the problem exists?

I'm fairly sure Jakub's message was in response to the recent discussion
about small Node.js packages and the frequent complaints that we should
not introduce small packages into the archive because it bloats our
metadata.

Reducing the size of Packages.xz by 11% or 22% would leave room for quite
a lot of small packages while not making the problem any worse than it is
today.