Re: Debconf - how to run a packaging workshop

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 04:46:54PM +0100, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
> I've agreed to give a one day Debian packaging workshop at $dayjob aimed at
> sysadmins and developers, and I'd be interested in hearing from those who
> have already run similar sessions to get advice/tips for how to approach
> such a thing. Would there be any interest at attending/contributing to
> such a session at Debconf?

Two years ago I started a method to provide packaging knowledge at LSM
in Geneva in the following way:  I asked the audience to tell me what
software they want to be packaged in Debian and than I simply started
the packaging.  While this sounds dangerous because you might fail to
get the packaging somehow working the advantage is that you can guide
people through *practical* pitfalls and how to circumvent them.  Since
this method was quite well perceived by the audience I did this several
times in since then and it always was a success in the following terms:

  1. The package(s) was(were) really uploaded to new in the time
     of the workshop (make sure one in the audience volunteers to
     keep on maintaining this package and promise sponsoring)
  2. The audience considered it very effective and started at the
     next day with packaging themselves (at Debian Med sprint this
     year we did two packages in the first days afternoon and the
     newcomers worked on their own packages at the second day)
  3. You can show communication channels how good they work.  For
     instance one time I sended an e-mail to debian-mentors@l.d.o
     and received a helpful answer while the workshop was running.
     You could also show IRC

In summary I could really recommend workshops like this and I will keep
on doing it this way next week in a two days workshop (I can report here
if there is any interest).

Hope this helps

        Andreas.

--